In 1952 Trinity Catholic School opened its doors as Blessed Sacrament School to 102 students in 1st through 4th Grades at its present location on Miccosukee Road and Brevard Street. The school consisted of a one-building attachment to Blessed Sacrament Church and was known locally as ‘The Reading School.’ Enrollment doubled the following year and over 60 years later the school now serves over 450+ students from Pre-K3 through 8th Grade.
Begun by three Dominican Sisters from Adrian, Michigan, who pioneered the fledgling school, Trinity was then led by six principals from the Adrian Order (O.P.) and the Franciscan (O.S.F.) Order. In the early 50’s the Sisters resided in a home across the street from the school and eventually a convent was constructed, which now overlooks the campus as the John Neuman Retreat Center.
From 1952-1976, the school was under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of St. Augustine. In 1977 the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee was formed under its first Bishop, Rene Gracida, and Blessed Sacrament School was renamed Trinity Catholic School. Organizationally, the school is guided by the Diocese, the Pastor of Blessed Sacrament Parish, the School Advisory Council, and the Principal. As the only Catholic Elementary School in the area, the school remains a ministry of Blessed Sacrament Church, but is financially, spiritually, and liturgically supported by the parishes of Blessed Sacrament, Good Shepherd, St. Thomas More, St. Louis and St. Eugene’s Chapel.
In 2001-2002 an extended day care program was initiated. ‘Beyond the Bell‘ has become a strong after school program offering Trinity students various enrichment activities. In 2007 then Principal Janet Gendusa established a Pre-Kindergarten 3 year old program in response to a growing need for a quality early childhood program built around Catholic standards. Now students can boast of 11 years of Catholic Education when they graduate from Trinity Catholic School.
Our former pastor, Monsignor John V. O’Sullivan, who retired in June 2014, was a strong supporter of the school since his appointment in 1979 and was responsible in overseeing the school’s development. In 2009, as part of a prepared homily on the importance of Catholic education, he defined Catholic Schools in the following way:
"A Catholic School is a place where:
Since our inception, Trinity Catholic School has become an established, well-respected part of the capital city’s central midtown location and its academic reputation has remained strong.